The MIDLAND CATHOLIC HISTORY SOCIETY was formed in 1996 by the merger of the Staffordshire Catholic History Society and the Worcestershire Catholic History Society. Staffordshire was founded in 1960 and Worcestershire in 1962 (amalgamated with the Federated Western Marches in 1981).
Both Staffordshire and Worcestershire were included in the Midland Vicariate Apostolic (1688-1840), and the Central Vicariate (1840-50) and the Diocese, later Archdiocese, of Birmingham (1850-), so there was a certain logic in combining the journals of the two societies as Midland Catholic History.
They were merged in 1991 and this allowed the regular appearance of a well produced publication drawing on material from all over the Midlands. The Worcestershire journal, Worcester Recusant, had long included material from Warwickshire, Herefordshire and Shropshire.
Midland Catholic History contains articles on post-Reformation Catholic History, of interest to the general reader as well as to historians and antiquarians, and an essential aid to the local Catholic historian.
Back issues of Midland Catholic History and its predecessors, Staffordshire Catholic History and Worcester Recusant are available from the Treasurer, Mr Vincent Burke; the charge is £5 but discounts are negotiable for purchasers of a number of issues. See the dedicated pages on this website for a list of all the journals and the titles of articles. There is an index for the Worcester Recusant.
The object of issuing a Journal for the Society is not only to impart information but also to elicit such from its readers. We would therefore ask anyone who could correct or amplify articles not to be hesitant in sending in such information. Articles for publication may be sent to the Editor.
In addition to the annual publication of Midland Catholic History members also receive copies of the publications of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Historical Commission as they are issued. A programme of visits and talks is arranged each year in the four counties of the Archdiocese as well as in the wider Midland geographical area. New members are always welcome.
The photograph above shows some of the interior of St Chad’s Cathedral, Birmingham
To download our Information Leaflet click here